Wednesday, December 9, 2015

DIY Burlap Bow

I had these two wreaths that hung in my kitchen windows over the buffet that I was procrastinating in putting up.  I felt like they needed a little something, but I didn't know what.  So they sat on my kitchen island for over a week.

This afternoon I was on a mission to clear off the counter tops, so it was decision time.

My first step was to give Tessa a teething biscuit to occupy her.  


I was in Target last week (you know, for a change, right?) and I snagged this burlap ribbon from the Dollar Spot.  


Six feet for a dollar?  I'll take three, thankyouverymuch.

I busted out my bow making skills from my cheerleading days and made two rustic burlap and twine bows for the wreaths.

First, I cut a section of the ribbon.  I used a 30 inch length, but you can do whatever size makes your heart happy.  

I folded one side over, maybe 10- 12 inches.


Then I folded the other side over about 10-12 inches.  Again, you can adjust if you want a bigger or smaller bow.  


I picked up my folded ribbon where it crossed over and pinched it shut.  You can start to see it taking the shape of a bow now


I still have twine laying around from this post, so I cut an 18 inch length to use for my middle.  I wrapped it around twice at first, so I could adjust as needed.  


 Once I was happy with the placement, I wrapped it around more times



I tied it in the back, leaving some extra twine to tie it onto the wreath.



 Tada!


It took me less than 15 minutes to create two bows  Super easy!

...and then I remembered I gave the baby a biscuit and now I had to clean up that holy mess.  


She is smiling because she knows I am about to find the soggy chunk of biscuit that fell on her lap.  Surprise Mom!


Always & forever,
ME

1 comment:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Very cute - I just made all the bows for our wreaths outside and they were similar. But I actually think yours may have been better - a little simpler.