Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Apples and Chops

I have been on an apple kick ever since week 38 of my pregnancy.
Let's blame it on the season.  That, and my insane consumption of pumpkin- flavored baked goods.

(Hell, if I can't blame the pregnancy on any of these cravings, I'm gonna find something else to blame it on.)

Anyway, I had to come up with dinner the other night and I was tired of eating chicken.  I remembered we had pork chops in the freezer.  I saw the bushel of apples I had just picked up at the super market the other day and after a quick search via the Almighty Google, I found this great recipe.  This comes JEGs approved, too.




Caramel Apple Pork Chops

4 Pork chops
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoon brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoon butter
2 tart apples- peeled, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons pecans (optional.  I opted out because I just didn't have them at the house.  Maybe next time.)

1. Preheat oven to 175 F.  Place a medium dish in the oven to warm.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Brush chops lightly with oil and place in hot pan.  Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally or until done.  Transfer to the warm dish, and keep warm in the preheated oven.

3. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add butter to skillet, and stir in brown sugar mixture and apples.  Cover and cook until apples are just tender.  Remove apples with a slotted spoon and arrange on top of chops.  Keep warm in the preheated oven.

4.  Continue cooking sauce uncovered in skillet, until thickened slightly.  Spoon sauce over apples and chops.  If you are wild and crazy and did the pecans, go ahead and sprinkle them over top.

5.  Forget about conversation during dinner.  You'll be too busy shoveling food into your gullet.

Always & Forever,
  ME

5 comments:

Kate said...

Oooh! Looks yummy. I like anything I can use as a vehicle for apple sauce. If that has to be pork chops, then so be it. ;) Shall be pinning....

Danielle and Clint said...

I actually had a ton of apple cider left and pork chops to cook. So I simmered the chops, potatoes and carrots in the cider and it was sooooo yummy! Who knew apples and pork went so good together!

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

so cool. I not always have a creative way of doing pork chops. I will definitely would try

Anonymous said...

this looks delish!

Shannon said...

I hardly ever make pork. I think I must overcook it all the time. Or buy bad pork. It's always tough. Maybe you should make me a batch of this to show me what it should taste like. You've got time, right?