Monday, May 2, 2011

Pina Colada Cupcakes

I think I have an obsession with cupcakes.  Every time I bake something, it's a cupcake.  It's funny because I'm not a fan of cake, per say, but I love cupcakes.  Maybe it's the miniatureness.

As soon as I saw this recipe from Skinny Taste, I knew I had to try it.  Haven't heard of Skinny Taste before?  CHECK. IT. OUT.  It has quickly become my new favorite baking blog.



Let's meet the players in this game:


  • 18.25 oz box yellow cake mix
  • 20 oz can crushed pineapple in juice (x2)
  • 8 oz Philadelphia 1/3 less fat cream cheese
  • 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/4 cup sugar
...disappointingly, no rum.  Whomp whomp.

Combine the cake mix and 1 can of the crush pineapples in a large bowl.  Do not drain the pineapples.  Mix on medium with an electric hand mixer.




Pour into lined cupcake tins about 2/3 full. Bake in accordance with cake mix directions or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool. 


*Fun note: the box I had said to bake cupcakes on 350 for 19-23 minutes.  Thirty-two minutes later I pulled them out because honestly, I had stuff to do.  Silly me thought gas cooked everything faster.  Apparently not.

Combine cream cheese, the other can of crushed pineapple (drained), sugar and coconut flakes in a medium bowl and mix with a hand mixer until combined well.

Spread on cooled cupcakes and refrigerate until ready to eat

Sit back, and enjoy a little taste of summer.

Always & Forever,
  ME

1 comment:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

These sound so awesome! Yummy!