Tuesday, December 15, 2009

DIY Christmas Ornaments

To commemorate our first Christmas together I really wanted to have special ornaments for JEGs and I. However, money has been uber tight this month so I really had no budget to go out and buy anything.

Time to get creative.

Back in August when we went to OBX we picked up some seashells and they have been rattling around in JEGs' car ever since.


I had the idea of writing down four dates that were special to us; June 20, 2001 [our anniversary], May 20, 2009 [the date we moved in together], August 22, 2009 [ our engagement] and July 17, 2010 [our wedding date]

As a cheerleading coach, I always have gobs and gobs of ribbon laying around. I found a spool of thin red ribbon and glued the two ends to the back of the shell, making a loop.


Since I'm a whore for things that sparkle, I decided to spread some Elmer's Glue to the top of the shell, and then dusted some glitter over top.


I still wanted it to resemble a seashell, so with a toothpick, I combed through the grooves of the shell and removed the excess glitter and glue.

Then I let them dry for about 30 minutes

...and voila! Now we have four ornaments that sparkle with sentimental value.

And I didn't spend a penny.
How about you? Any fun DIY Christmas projects, or sentimental ornaments??
Always & Forever,
ME

2 comments:

Ashley M. said...

That's such a cute idea!!! Love it :)

Danielle and Clint said...

Awww....so cute :-). Great idea!